NBC explored the huge USA sports betting market and the numbers are really on heights. Check below some interesting numbers of sports betting action in the United States:
* $3.2 billion was wagered in sports bets in Las Vegas casinos in 2011 - $1.34 billion or 41 percent was handled just for football.
* $98.9 million in bets at Nevada casinos on Super Bowl XLVII. Nevada sports books profits was $7.2 million on 2013’s game, after paying out the winner bettors.
* More than $8 billion is wagered every year on the Super Bowl alone ( 200 million bettors worldwide is the projected number )
* Between $60-70 billion is illegally wagered on college football.
* Thirty-three million Americans participate in fantasy football. $1.18 billion changes hands between players through pools each year.
* Between $30-40 billion is illegally wagered on Major League Baseball each year.
* $2.5 billion is illegally wagered annually on the three-week March Madness post-season tournament each year.
* As much as 25 percent of illegal wagers placed on college basketball games each year comes during March Madness, according to CNBC.
* Sports book operators estimate $80 million to $90 million - less than 4 percent of the illegal take - is wagered on the NCAA tournament legally through Nevada’s 216 sports books, again according to the American Gaming Association.
* One in 10 Americans play March Madness brackets according the data-processing website, Wager Solutions.com.